Maybe you can relate to this. At one time or another, folks fighting the battle of the bulge go gung-ho and do lots of crunches. For hours. Week after week.
And yes, before long, deep down, they can feel their abs firming up. But there’s just one not-so-little problem. Belly fat continues to hide the results of all their hard work.
Spot Reducing is a Myth
The reason why is simple. Fat evades spot reducing. Whether we want to target the belly, hips or thighs, fat is really a whole body fight.
So, no matter how many crunches we do or how hard we work our abdominals, it won’t lead to six pack abs. Or even a flat stomach.
Belly Fat Disappears When…
Men get their body fat below 10-11%, their abs begin to show. At 7-8%, their abs will look really cut up. For women, the magic range is 16-19% body fat.
Individuals will vary. Those with more of their body fat around the belly may have to get even leaner for their abs to show. With men, body fat accumulates around the stomach. With women, it’s the hips and thighs.
The Body Fat Percentage to Shed
If you’re serious about transforming yourself into a flat belly person, now’s the time to measure your current percentage of body fat. There are three ready ways to do it:
- Use a skinfold caliper
- Estimate it from girth measurements of various body parts
- Get more precise with a bioelectric impedance device
Calculations and tables for measuring girth are easy to find online. If you go to a gym, one of the trainers can get a read on your body fat percentage using a skinfold caliper or bioelectric impedance device.
What You Can Expect from this Get Rid of Belly Fat Blog
In future posts, we’ll focus on reliable strategies for melting fat from your entire body. Follow these and you’ll get rid of belly fat too. Then and only then will your defined abs show through.
- What’s Your Ideal Weight? – I’ve adjusted my goal weight up to 135, compared to my original goal of 120. This is not because I’m giving up; it’s because I’ve come to believe that 135 is truly my ideal weight. When I first set my goal, I wasn’t sure what an …
- “Calories In, Calories Out” – One of the more irritating things about die-hard proponents of low-calorie weight loss diets is how they talk about “the laws of thermodynamics” as though they have any idea what they actually mean, or how they might be applied to human …
- How To Measure Body Fat Your Fat Calculator – These body fat scales use the Bioelectrical Impedance method to measure your body fat percentage. A low-level electrical current is passed through your body and the impedance, or opposition to the flow of current, is measured. …
- Pattericos Pontifications » The Wishing Ring, part 3 – By this, the final segment of the Wishing Ring, you’re either desperate to know what the heck I mean by foodless food or else you’re so overwhelmed by ennui that you’re gnawing your own leg off to escape. On the assumption that those of you in the latter category will have other things to worry about (such as sudden, catastrophic blood loss), I’ll dive right into this last wish of our iconic three. Throughout most of human history and across most of the world even today, the poor are marked by their thin, gaunt, even skeletal look.